Advanced roller casting technology
Desmodur® Rotational Casting systems combine flexibility and performance
The unique properties of cast polyurethane elastomers make them attractive to the roller industry to meet stringent requirements. Rotational Casting, an innovative technique that eliminates molds and ovens, creates new possibilities.
When it debuted in the 1980s, the rotational casting method offered an alternative to open mold casting, the traditional polyurethane roll covering technique. The rotational casting process utilizes MDI ester-based or MDI ether-based systems.
During rotational casting, a very fast-reacting polyurethane mixture is dispensed directly onto a rotating roll. The production of roll coverings using Rotational Casting requires a dedicated machine that heats, meters and mixes every component of the formulation.
Rotational Casting requires a mastery and compatibility of machines and systems. Covestro offers machinery designed specifically for this processing method.
Additional advantages of Rotational Casting are:
- Energy savings - no preheating of the core required
- No mold required - time and energy savings
- Less waste
- Flexibility - coverage of rollers of various sizes and shapes
- Coverage with several layers of different kinds
- No risk of contamination of the core by release agent
- Coverage of up to 40 mm on a single pass
The Rotational Casting method for processing cast polyurethane elastomers is well-suited for applications in the steel, pulp and paper industries.