Desmodur® prepolymer technology for high-performance cast PU elastomers
Cast polyurethane elastomers are used in a wide range of applications where elasticity, a long service life and excellent wear resistance are required. Desmodur® prepolymer technology from Covestro gives polyurethane elastomer manufacturers the freedom to meet all of their customers’ demanding application needs.
Polyurethane elastomers are prepared from the reaction of diisocyanates, long-chain polyols and short-chain extenders. By varying each component, the properties of polyurethane elastomers can be tuned to meet the needs of specific applications.
These prepolymers consist of a reaction between diisocyanates:
- Toluene diisocyanate (TDI)
- Diphenylmethane diisocyanate (MDI)
- Aliphatic and unconventional isocyanates
and polyether/polyester polyols such as:
- Polypropylene glycol (PPG)
- Polytetramethylene ether glycol (PTMEG)
- Unconventional polyols
Cast polyurethane elastomers are formed when these prepolymers react with chain extenders followed by curing to generate three-dimensional structures.
The Desmodur® line of prepolymers includes:
- Conventional TDI and MDI-terminated polyether and polyester-based prepolymers processed using hot casting methods
- Mercury-free MDI systems
- Prepolymers with low unreacted TDI content for reduced operator exposure to TDI
- Quasi-MDI prepolymers with ether or ester backbones
- Amine cross-linked MDI prepolymers with processing profiles comparable to TDI prepolymers
- Prepolymers terminated with specialty diisocyanates
With its extensive expertise in polyurethane chemistry and broad portfolio of Desmodur® systems, Covestro can help polyurethane elastomer manufacturers find the best prepolymer technologies for all of their applications.