Multi-purpose and easy processing
Desmodur® TDI-based systems for hot cast polyurethane elastomers
Polyurethane hot cast elastomers based on toluene diisocyanate (TDI) can be formulated with a wide range of mechanical properties. Different hardness levels are possible with ester- or ether-based prepolymers.
Conventional TDI-terminated prepolymers for cast polyurethane elastomers are processed using hot casting methods. Desmodur® systems from Covestro include polyether- and polyester-based products. Desmodur® prepolymers are designed to be processed with various curatives.
Desmodur® TDI-polytetramethylene ether glycol (PTMEG) systems provide PU elastomers with excellent properties:
- Good abrasion resistance, high tensile strength and high resilience, even at low temperatures
- Good resistance to hydrolysis and microorganisms
- Low viscosities for easy processing
- Large range of hardnesses from 80A to 80D
Desmodur® TDI-ester systems offer a robust set of characteristics:
- High tear resistance
- Excellent dynamic properties
- Good chemical resistance
- A low compression set
- Hardness levels of 80 to 95 Shore A
Specialty Desmodur® TDI-ester systems are available with:
- Lower viscosities for easier processing
- 20 to 58 Shore A hardness for very aggressive environments
- Good resistance to both water and hydrocarbons
We also offer Desmodur® systems with a low unreacted TDI content in ether and ester versions. Besides H&S benefits, the lower viscosities and longer pot lives enable easier processing and the casting of a greater variety of parts with improved performance.